Sunday 13 January 2008

Erev Shabbat

The mild winter weather in Jerusalem (blue skies, sunshine, with a nose nipping chill in the air) has produced what I can only describe as a carnival atmosphere this Shabbat. The street vendors in the Old City are doing a roaring trade this evening. I enjoyed an early meal with a steaming hot cob of corn, which I tried to eat whilst being talked at by an Armenian carpet seller. I must have looked a sight, as I can never manage corn gracefully, but always end up with bits of husks between my teeth.
Then, on the way home, I got chatting to the owner of the camel which gives rides around the walls. He was a really friendly guy, and I walked side by side with the camel as he started to lead him home to E. Jerusalem. The camel seemed to approve of being scratched on the soft spot on the neck. He was also quite cheeky and tried to kiss me several times (er, the camel, not the handler!). However, when I asked the camel's name, I am sure offended him because I roared with laughter. Kojak didn't want to nuzzle me any more after that!

2 comments:

david santos said...

Thanks for posting, Sparrow.

Have a good weekend

Docnimsby said...

Great to follow your journey. Trust all is well. Now back at AMB will get my blog underway!