Monday 3 September 2007

A perfect sensory day

It is said that smell is one of the most evocative memory stimulators. A whiff of perfume can bring events to mind that sit right back in childhood. Taste has a similar effect.

Texture can also stimulate the creative juices. Flowers, fabrics, woods, beads, certain foods (chocolate mousse, toasted nuts, mangos, crunchy lettuce with croutons). For me, the list goes on. I am blessed to have five senses filling my world with a crazy paradise.

My top five: marshmallows, a large cat purring, wood burning in the autumn air, the dawn chorus, bread baking, coffee percolating.

I have to say, the most sensuous things I have ever eaten are marshmallows. They are ordinary looking, but when they are fresh, there is nothing to compare with them. Toasted over an open fire they are spectacular. Then there’s that great start to the day; walking past a bakery as a sleepy village wakes up. You sniff the different loaves on the breeze as you pass the time of day with a neighbour out walking his dog. Yup, a moment of heaven.

So I guess the perfect day would be waking up to birdsong, with a large cat purring at the bottom of the bed, fresh bread bursting out of the bread machine, coffee spluttering on the stove, and roasting marshmallows over a bonfire in the evening (after doing a bit of gardening, in order to deserve it.)

What about yours?

1 comment:

Rease said...

Well, you pretty much mentioned all my favorite things! Though, I must admit I've never given much thought to Marshmallows. How does one know if a marshmallow is 'fresh'?! But as for the other senses...you must add to your list hearing some delightful musical selections while gardening; feeling the toasty warmth of the woodburning fire; Seeing my beautiful family and friends around me; and...as you already mentioned, topping it all off with a warm crusty bread and sharp cheese, a glass of wine....and then a cup of coffee...real cream, no sugar.

I'll go get the firewood. :-)