Monday 1 June 2009

Mid winter baking

I participate in a dangerous pursuit every Saturday morning. It involves a large mug of tea and half an hour in bed, browsing through back copies of “Country Living” and “NZ Home and Garden”. My better half makes me the tea, one of the cats joins me in bed and I plot my next project.
Two days ago I was reading an October edition and fell over a recipe for Christmas cake. I have never made one before, and as I had all of the ingredients in my pantry, bar three, I thought “Why not?” It’s cold, we always have people dropping in for tea and fruit cake is for winter.
So after lunch today, I lined and constructed the cake tin (a recycled Amazon packet became the tin’s jacket). My husband watched me somewhat bemused as I arm-wrestled the cardboard and string.
So, it cooks, and I chew my nails, wondering if it is going to be an expensive, brandy laden disaster. A photo may follow.

No comments: