Wednesday 1 July 2009

Random thoughts

Things to be thankful for at 41 degrees latitude

In less than 15 minutes we can get from our suburb to the centre of the capital by train. And both of us work a five minutes walk from the station.
On a good day, we can be home and cooking dinner by 5.45pm.
Coffee shops on every corner, each unique, each with its own style, atmosphere, roast of coffee and selection of music.
No ice on the roads or snow.
No snakes

Things we wish we had at 41 degrees latitude

Fast trains. We would even settle for trains younger than 40 years old!
News stands which sell newspapers from all over Europe, the Times Literary Supplement, Private Eye, The New Yorker, etc etc.
Wide expanses of heather
Cheap New Zealand Lamb
Decent critical journalism

1 comment:

Kat Mortensen said...

No matter where you live, you always wish something were/was different, don't you?
I wish we didn't get humidity like we do in summer. I wish our highways weren't crammed with inconsiderate maniacs. I wish we had more cafes, local pubs and small grocers instead of Big Box stores and chain restaurants.

Oh well. We mustn't complain. So many have it so much worse.

Kat

Sorry I lost track of your blog in my dashboard thingy - it's so hard to keep up and I haven't seen your updates. I'm going to add you to my blog page and see if that helps my aging mind.