Wednesday 21 October 2009

A different kind of solitude

A moment of self indulgent reflection. I am alone in our home. Hubby has just landed in the M. East (a combination of business and visiting friends and relatives) and I have been horribly sick for the last four days. I’ve coughed my way through 5 nights and am worn out. Thankfully a helpful neighbour and a good friend dropped by yesterday to check I was still alive and brought groceries. Because I am grounded, I have had time to think. If I were never to leave this house again, actually, I don’t think it would bother me.
We live on a hill. We have neighbours on three sides, but because of our position, we aren’t overlooked. We don’t have a main road close by, so noise is minimal. The birds are trying hard to behave like it is spring, getting all lovesick in the trees, but recent storms have turned them into “one verse wonders”. They seek refuge from the deluge under native branches.
It is so quiet. I feel like the world is very far away. And yet my dear husband is texting me and every morning the world shows up on my computer. I have just been chatting with a friend in Canada. Earlier it was a girlfriend in Israel, another in the UK. We have swopped recipes, discussed blogs, passed the political time of day. We have chatted about family, dreamed our dreams and had virtual coffee together.
If our bills could be magically paid, and our larder restock itself – I would lock myself away in my home on the hill, never to be seen again.
Of course, tomorrow if I feel better, I may change my mind!

2 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

You sound quite a lot like me. I can be a real homebody and not see the outside world for days. I live on a semi-urban street with neighbours surrounding me, but I rarely interract with any of them. My husband and I are not extraverts, unless under duress.
It must be tough to have him away for such a long time. I feel for you.

Enjoyed our chat and look forward to doing it again soon.

Kat

Arija said...

Oh dear, you sound like me a few weeks ago. One of my guardian angels sent me an email when we had spent yet another almost sleepless night with me coughing.

Put Vicks Vapour Rub on the soles of your feet when you go to bed and a pair of socks to save the sheets and as if by a miracle, the
coughing just stops after 5 - 10 minutes as the ointment is absorbed through your skin, and you can enjoy a long serene sleep.

I do hope you are better soon as I enjoy your writing very much.