Tuesday 2 March 2010

Things that go bump in the night


I apologise in advance for those of a nervous disposition. This was our late night visitor. He/she had a balcony view of a cat fight taking place on our driveway about half an hour ago.

I heard an almighty bump and squeal as our big tom cat got chased up the driveway by the local Mafia Moggyoso. Brave husband went out with a torch to try and locate and rescue "the boy". I followed him in hot pursuit, only to stop dead in my tracks when I saw this amazing weta.

I see baby wetas in the garden occasionally, but this one is a fully grown adult, getting on for 5cms long. They look vicious, but are completely harmless. They happen to have a penchant for dozing off inside running shoes or gum boots, enjoying the warm moist habitat. So if you leave your boots by the door, it's always a good idea to shake them before putting them on again.

This is the creature that Sir Peter Jackson named his special effects studio after.

So, now you know

1 comment:

Kat Mortensen said...

And just so YOU know, I will NOT be coming to NZ.

Moggyoso...cute!

Kat