Wednesday 12 December 2007

Degrees of separation

Warmth is very important to me; whether that is the prevailing temperature outside, curled up on the sofa, or snoozing in bed. Warmth in relationships is also lifeblood. I find being professionally objective almost impossible in business. I have to have warm relationships.

Mercifully, I am blessed with friends who have kept up their friendship with me wherever I have wandered on the planet. I like to think I have done so too.

I have a great example – an ex-boyfriend no less. We keep in touch intermittently, mainly via each other’s blogs.

A thought struck me this morning. The temperature here today was very warm, even by summer standards, and this was posted on my blog thermometer. I checked the corresponding temperature where my friend lives, and it was a mere 25 degrees celcius colder than here.

His early morning routine includes helping on the farm where he lodges. This involves attacking the animal fodder with an ice axe before attempting to scatter it for the cows. When I feed my animals, I simply stick my head in the fridge and pull out the Kitekat.

For him to do his winter job in the mountains (teaching English in a very remote village), he has to trek many hours by horse through mountain passes. For my temporary job I walk down the hill, catch the train and I am in the capital in less than 15 minutes.

So little in common any more, except a funny present which he still has from me – a hot water bottle, which it appears is pretty necessary for survival these days.

So, although we haven’t seen each other for 10 years, live totally different lives, the warmth of friendship (and the hot water bottle) remain.

Lends a whole new meaning to “degrees of separation”

No comments: