Tuesday 4 December 2007

Passion for Kasha

When I collected my husband from the railway station today, he was carrying a huge bag. I didn’t think it would be food, as there are no “real” food shops near parliament. Turns out he’d hit the city library just as they were selling off hundreds of withdrawn titles (be still my heart). The romantic gift of the day was a book called “The Art of Russian Cuisine” written by the former food editor of Izvestia.

I sense a few raised eyebrows. Izvestia had a food column? Yup, and this 632 page tome is testimony to the fact that there is more to Russian food than Borscht and Caviar – although rather a lot of pages are devoted to them.

This book was written in 1983, so I’m not expecting Novya Cuisine………but there may be a few recipes or comments in future blogs.

Requests for recipes will be replied to.

No comments: