Monday 22 December 2008

Things that go bump

On Friday I received what I thought was a “wrong call” at work on my mobile. I picked up, and the caller said “Terracotta or glazed?” I recognised my better half’s voice, but was perplexed by the question.
“Depends what for?”
“A bird bath” came the reply.
In spite of protestations that I didn’t want a birthday present, he insisted. My joyful hobby of garden bird watching was going to have a new addition.

By the time I got home, it was elegantly parked on a bit of sloped garden near the kitchen window, for good viewing.

“I bet Otto will be drinking from it first” I quipped. Our large tom cat loves lapping water in the various bowls I have scattered around the garden.

Then I realised that the basin part of the bath was only balanced on its pedestal. Not going to work with 6kg of klutz jumping on it. He would be brained within seconds.

I notice on my husband’[s grocery shopping list for today, in between yoghurt and soap powder is “Cement”.

No comments: