Monday 23 February 2009

Early impressions - Snow at Argenteuil


Today we visited the “Monet and Impressionists” exhibition at our National Museum, Te Papa. There are over one $1 billion’s worth of paintings on display including Cezanne, Sisley, Degas, Millet and Manet. It was impressive in its scope and had been displayed very well.
When I thought really hard, I realised it was over 12 years since I looked at an Impressionist painting. In 1996, I was at the Hermitage in Russia for the second time and visited a number of museums in Vienna, as I was living in a small town close by. Since teenage years I had taken every opportunity to see them, and until my mid twenties was restricted to the National Gallery in London. Then I hit Paris with a vengeance, followed by Amsterdam.
I have come to the conclusion that I went through an Impressionist phase, but came through to the other side being hungry instead for bold lines, definition, sharp focus and less subtlety. I appreciate the genius, revel in the colours, but in short, I no longer “do” blur.
I have since progressed from Chagall and Klee to Klimt, Mondrian, Modigliani and Kandinsky.
So, whilst I enjoyed a trip down the emotional memory lane of early adulthood, I am looking forward to other 20th century artists appearing in the S. Hemisphere.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

This was painted so close to where we live, also I have a painted copy of a Monet from Norway...didn't realise he spent time there! I was at Auver's sur Oise last week & will soon have a piece on the 'Maison de Van Gogh' - his last home & he is buried with Theo his bother in the same village...

Fiona:)

Liezel said...

Jane i am jealous! I love art as you know and would have really enjoyed going to TePapa with you! Man...maybe next time!