Tuesday 26 January 2010

Closing the circle

When I was 14, I had a Saturday job working for a lapidarist. His studio and shop were up two flights of stairs in the attic of a mid Victorian building in the town next door to ours. It was the 1970's and polished semi-precious stones were very "in" for jewellery. I made a number of pieces myself from various underwhelming mineral specimens. I loved the job and would have paid my boss just to be there!
All my adult life I have haunted jewellers and gold souqs. I even had coffee once with the wonderful Greek designer, Illias Lalaounis. We met quite by chance. I didn't know who he was, I just happened to be in a museum dedicated to his life's work! I rattled on over a very strong Greek coffee about my passion for all things gemological. He waited until I drew breath to introduce himself! Possibly the most embarrassing experience of my life. But I digress.
Fast forward thirty years, and I am "hobbying" again with jewellery, selling the pre-loved kind to raise funds for various charities. The experience of these last four years have stirred up that passion for gems again. I don't want to own them, but I love handling them and identifying them.
Last Saturday was grey and miserable, so I headed to the library with my better half. I did a search for every book I could find on gemology. I left with four heavy tomes. I have since sourced a course to study gemology by distance learning. So armed only with a Geology "O" level and a Kimberley mine of enthusiasm, I'm going to put my passion to the test and sign up for a course based in the USA.
And for those of you who know me well, and would like to assist me on my journey, dig out a few rocks and let me see if I can identify them for you.

3 comments:

Jen said...

where do you sell your pieces???

a very interesting post

all the best with the course :)

sparrow said...

Thanks for stopping by Jen. I sell jewellery at markets, and anywhere I can get a place to set up a stall. All funds go to charitable causes. Drop me a line at wpnz@swissmail.org and I'll tell you more.

Unknown said...

As usual, your blog is very interesting. While on the subject of gemstones, I recollected the pretty beads you had left for me to assemble for your necklace. It was probably from SA. Last year I visited a quaint bead shop in Richmond, IN. I was surprised to find the interesting stone collection in an obscure little town. I would love to possess a garnet necklace some day.

Enjoy your course.