Saturday 16 January 2010

That which disturbs our night


Why is it that when we wake in the early hours (in my case 3 am), things that generally don't bother us during the day, suddenly take on gargantuan proportions?
We have a terrible storm going through at the moment. It started about 8pm last night, and the wind has HOWLED for 12 hours. It shows no sign of blowing out. We have a 3 metre high cabbage tree in the garden, and if it were to ever fall down the hill, would cause significant damage. In 120km/hr winds it rocks like a metronome. But on a still day is as steady as a rock.
However, last night, I was convinced that branches would snap off and fly around the garden. I thought our roof would peel off and the cats would escape and die.
I gave up trying to sleep at 6am and got up. Now I'm exhausted, but all the nightmares have gone, and all I see now is a storm in paradise from the comfort of my lovely home.

No comments: