Thursday 4 February 2010

The Scone recipe

Hi Katherine - at your request, here is my "secret" scone recipe. It may be quite different to what you are used to. It hovers between a scone and a cake, and the mixture is very sticky. You don't roll it out, just get a great big dollop of it on a spoon and make a round shape with it as best you can!

3 cups S. Raising flour
2 eggs
50 grammes butter
1 cup milk
quarter tsp salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon and quarter teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup of chopped, softened dates (I pour boiling water on mine for about 3 minutes, and drain thoroughly)

Preheat oven to 220c

Sift flour and spices in a bowl and cut butter into it until it resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in well drained chopped dates
Add milk and whisked eggs and mix quickly into a soft dough.
When well combined, drop large spoonfuls onto a greased baking tray. This is a bit sticky, but well worth the effort.
Bake for 10 minutes at 220c then 5 minutes at 180c

2 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Hi Jane! Thanks for the reminder to visit your blog; I've just had a run of creativity lately and have not been very active in visitations.

I like this recipe. Nutmeg is one of my fave spices; I used to sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream when I was a kid!

The addition of dates sounds yummy. I just made a date/walnut loaf the other day (was about to have some with my coffee).

Don't despair of me, my friend. I'm still here!

Kat

P.S. Pop by "Keepsakes" and have a look at my personal-collage header. You'll see what my world is really like!

Katherine said...

Thanks Jane - recipe looks amazing. Can't wait to try it. Love reading your blog!