Saturday 19 February 2011

Sweet home Manama 2 - Bread of Heaven

A short email I sent from Manama in 2003

I don’t know if it’s possible to buy anything in the UK for 15 pence.

Here in Bahrain it buys you two loaves of flat bread the size of the Sunday Times.

Eaten fresh it melts like rice paper in the mouth – a day old and you could make kitchen cabinets out of it. Eaten within 15 minutes of the oven it fills you enough to make you purr contentedly on the sofa. Left overnight rigamortis sets in, to bread and hungry consumer alike.

I believe the children of Israel had a similar problem with manna.

Time sometimes stands still in this bit of the Middle East……

© by Sparrowchatter 2011

2 comments:

rutimizrachi said...

Exactly the same thing could be said about pita. But now you've given me at Biblical way of looking at it at least...

Anonymous said...

The bread is still the same and costs the same! I love your rigamortis analogy. Absolutely perfect.