Sunday 1 June 2008

Moving on

Yesterday, I realised I no longer thought of myself as an immigrant to this country. The event that sparked this was making a milk shake with my German blender.

I bought it about eight years ago when I was living in the Middle East. It has a European two pin plug. As I don’t use the blender often, I had kept the old plug and used an adaptor in the kitchen socket.

I believe there was a strange psychology attached to not changing the plug. It belonged to my “other life”. I lived in E. Europe, then the Middle East, and curiously the plug worked in both, but not here. Other electrical items had been given to my better half at weekends so he could replace the plugs – but not the blender. It was the last bastion.

But making the shake just got me frustrated. The adaptor was falling apart, so the pulse on the blender was intermittently cut off.

“That’s it!!!! The Euro pin HAS TO GO!”

I’ve made it, I’m a Kiwi. If I can prevail upon the man in the house today, the last plug will emigrate, and so will I.

No comments: