Wednesday 4 June 2008

No Michellin Stars Required

Because I was born in 1961 to a mum who served during the World War II, I was raised on wholesome, but simple food. This included vegetables and fruit that Dad grew, to supplement the pantry.

So, favourites included bread and butter pudding, semolina pudding, macaroni cheese and Toad in the Hole.

Let me explain. No amphibians were hurt during the execution of this culinary exercise. But translating this dish into Portuguese for our Brazilian lodger is quite a challenge. It comes out like Bullfrog in a Dent. Hmm.

The recipe calls for beef sausages and Yorkshire pudding batter. The sausages are cooked first, then you pour batter around them in a scorching hot tin. This rises and becomes crunchy, submerging the sausages. Gallons of hot onion gravy are required to drown the Toad.

I don’t think I have made this dish since I was a student, but tonight decided to give it a whirl, in spite of its merits being lost in translation on our lodger.
Verdict and marks out of ten later.

No comments: