Wednesday 1 April 2009

Struggling with identity

For the last two days, I have been doing a very serious walk down memory lane. I was visiting the village I lived in for the first ten years of my life and a second village where my father, grandfather and great grand father grew up.
Memories were almost drowning me they came so high, fast and wide. I left the UK nearly 18 years ago, and today I was taken aback by the emotional pull the village had on me. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to settle again in the area. I'm not sure why I feel the need to be there so badly. I don't know anyone in my grandparents village, and have only one aunt in my home village. I suspect being a wanderer for so long, I have been dying for familiarity and roots.
I hope I can resettle again in NZ.

1 comment:

JamesHip said...

We'll help you, Jane, if you like. First, we'll put you to work babysitting... (just kidding)!