Sunday 3 May 2009

Silently absent

I have a weakness for country, cooking and interiors magazines. They are the things that wind me down and make me very mellow. I can dream away, get ideas, be inspired to cook interesting dinners and do creative things around the house.
However, in the UK magazines, the one page adverts for bespoke kitchens, quality country clothing, hand made furniture, designer wallpaper etc all have an alarming omission. At the bottom of the page where all the suppliers are listed by county, I’m not there. I’m never there. The county in the UK where I spent the formative years of my life is NEVER mentioned.
Curious to know why? We’re poor and industrialised. It’s as if we are considered unworthy of beauty or quality or variety. Living there, you would have to catch a train or drive a significant distance to find decent hiking boots or a kitchen designer or a chesterfield sofa. You wouldn’t be able to browse around a china shop or a craft supplier.
Sad really. I’m the girl from nowhere.

No comments: