Tuesday 4 May 2010

Living in Wellington but missing Africa

I miss Africa. I visited Malawi in 1988 and I later Mozambique, Tanzania and Kenya. I ended up moving to S. Africa for a couple of years, and totally fell under the spell of the continent.
This weekend I dragged my husband along to a delightful new shop in Wellington, opposite our National Museum, Te Papa. It is called Juakali and sells beautiful Fair trade products, jewellery and furniture from Africa. This weekend they had a lovely man from Congo giving drum lessons. You can drink good coffee, and Beverley the owner is chatty and hospitable. Drum lessons run for the month of May, so if you are in town, you have no excuse.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I drive past Juakali every day on the way to my car park, but have never been in there - I might have to correct that. And maybe go and learn how to play a djembe properly...