Saturday 22 May 2010

Oh show me a home.......

It could be said that certain things in life just don’t go together; yoghurt with shredded leeks, underwater video games, tango lessons on a glacier, octopus pancakes……I’m sure you could add your own ideas.
My day had a random feel about it. First up, croissants and coffee at our favourite French café (so far, so normal). This was followed by 6 hours of philately, about 200,000 stamps to sort ready for a charity to sell in the UK. I’d volunteered to do it and my better half came along as the roving expert.

Feeling somewhat brain dead by 3.30pm, we took off for another coffee at Jua Kali (“hot Sun” in Swahili) and I came home with a wildebeest.

I’ve always had a soft spot for wildebeest and warthogs – they don’t get on the cover of Vogue or get sent fan mail or flowers. But I find them very endearing. I always wanted a pet warthog, but wildebeest were sort of out of the question, especially as I always lived in an apartment in Africa, with not so much as a front lawn!
So, today, when I clapped eyes on Basie, I was smitten and simply had to take him home. I guess I could sum up the day and by saying I was a stampeded.

2 comments:

Leora said...

So that's sort of what a wildebeest looks like? Or is that the warthog?

Also wondering about the charity. Other than the UK, you gave no hint.

sparrow said...

That's the stylistic version of a wildebeest. Cute isn't he?

The charity is in NZ but sells stamps internationally to raise money for aid projects in Polynesia and Papua New Guinea.