Friday 23 May 2008

Sick Central

I feel sorry for doctors. They have people like me walking into their surgery, pointing at bits of their body and complaining of hurting.
“I feel sick all the time and I have sharp pains here”, “It feels like I have a migraine in my intestines” etc, etc.
Eight days after originally going to the doctor, one course of antibiotics and a plethora of tests later, I still have a migraine in my intestines and constant nausea.
The doctor is just eliminating the obvious first. I am grateful not to have kidney disease or coeliacs or to have a rampant infection in my appendix. But something is up Guv’nor!
Now, in defence of the Doc, the human body is a mysterious, miraculous, extraordinary part of creation, and he has several tomes of anatomy and physiology to flick through in his brain before coming up with a diagnosis.
The one I eventually got was “You have a virus”. So gazillions of my internal bits and pieces are being attacked by an anonymous nasty.
But I would like at this point to inject some perspective. I read something fascinating yesterday in a book on feline health (one of our mogs is under the weather too). A cat boasts 67 million olefactory cells around its body. Meaning I suppose that it can sniff and sense with a large proportion of its body. Now imagine the 67 million were wiped out with a virus. Otto wouldn’t be able to find his supper.
Now there IS a disaster.
Sick as I am, I at least know where the box of cornflakes can be found!

No comments: