Saturday 10 May 2008

Wasted trees

Yesterday, in a rare moment on my own (hubby was meeting a friend for lunch), I explored a new development in the city. It is mostly million $ flats, but has a small lane running between adjacent buildings containing million $ coffee shops.

I decided to try one (just for a sandwich). It is modelled on a sophisticated NYC cafe and I was rather impressed by the service and the food. HOWEVER, they had gone a little too far on being accurate on one item of NYC etiquette – the serviettes. Why do I need 4 to eat a sandwich? I am not ham fisted, I am not a clutz. I can manage to eat without dripping bits down my bib! I was suddenly reminded of a diary item I wrote in New York in 2002.

There are more nail bars (manicure parlours) on the Upper West Side than grocery shops. I counted 26 on Broadway alone.

When you buy a take away coffee you are given lots of serviettes. I'm not sure what they are all for.

It is difficult to find a travel agent in New York (I tried for 2 days and gave up - I eventually reconfirmed my flights on a toll- free number).

Ergo (With apologies to all my friends who studied Logic at University).

Americans generally get 2 weeks paid holiday per year. Hence the dearth of travel agents. As they are tired 50 weeks of the year and therefore
stressed, they bite their nails, and have them manicured to "Dangerous Weapon" classification. In order to cope with long hours and shorter holidays, they drink gallons of coffee to keep awake and sane. In order to consume such quantities they have to run in and out of Deli's during the day for takeaway coffees. These are mostly served in foam cups. Sharp nails penetrate these cups and therefore purchaser requires lots of serviettes, to mop up designer shirt/subway seat/Imac computer.

Conclusion. If there were more Travel Agents in New York, fewer serviettes would be required for takeaway coffees.

No comments: