Sunday 13 April 2008

A dessert too far

The news is full of elections, whether it is concerning the desperation of the Zimbabwean people or the corrupt circus of the US Primaries. I am heart sore about the former and depressed about the latter. Not only am I confused by the American electoral system, I am concerned for the American people, who seem to have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea.

But enough of the depressing front page headlines, let’s move to the Food Section of the paper. Tonight, my husband and I went to the polls (this is known as a BBC link). Actually, that should read, “Went to the Poles”. Yes, we returned to our favourite Polish restaurant, and this time went with a Polish appetite. We took on the “three dessert plate” at the end of the meal.

To those who are not familiar with E. European desserts, this was a brave act, even for a self confessed pudding junkie. We are not talking dainty “centre of plate” concoctions, but serious shortcake, cheesecake fruit constructions with thick cream and fruit couli on the side.

Realising that we indeed may be finished off by 1.5 desserts each, we opted for a pannacotta as the third dessert. Not Polish, granted, but a delicious and delicate foil to the apple mazureka and baked cheesecake.

If I mention that I am writing this blog at 3am, after tossing and turning for the last hour, you might draw the conclusion that I overdid the meal tonight.
You would be right. Fantastic as it was, last night was definitely a dessert too far.

1 comment:

Mon said...

Oh Jane you lucky thing I am so jealous!!!!