Saturday 5 April 2008

Smalls

This morning a memory was triggered by a question I read on a website. Those of you who have a low embarrassment threshold should stop reading right now!

The question concerned the advantages of wearing stockings instead of tights (pantyhose for my N. American readers).

These days, due to the temperatures in my adoptive country, I wear trousers as a norm. However, I hate wearing them, and much prefer to wear skirts.

In my youth, I took great pride in my stockings and suspenders. I think because I am pretty conservative generally speaking, it was fun to wear pretty undies.

Now that I have thighs like a turkey, and a girth like a tractor tyre, suspenders are a bit impractical, as generally they are “One size fits all”, and "One size doesn't!" However, in my slimmer days, I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing tights. It is a bit like being shrunk wrapped (maybe I am part turkey?).

Tights, are exactly that –TIGHT. I experience being suffocated from the ankles up.I love the breeze that you experience with stockings! Also, being quite tall, I have never found tights that are long enough without wearing braces to keep them up. There's nothing worse than running for a bus, then realising that your knickers are descending with your tights and that you can't manage to climb onto that first step without a ladder running down both legs and wrinkles appearing round your ankles. You spend the entire bus journey wondering if you will be able to walk when you get off at your stop, or if you will resort to waddling like a penguin!

I am sure there are ladies out there who have funny stories re the above.

Oh, and for the record, stockings really do make temporary fan belts in cars. In my years owning a Morris Minor, I once had to putt putt home, with a stocking for a fan belt (and a very cold left leg!)

No comments: