Thursday 24 April 2008

Flutterbys

If Google Earth was able to zoom in REALLY close, today it would have seen a miracle on Ngatitoa Street.

Our small town is not unfamiliar to beauty; we are surrounded by rolling hills and native bush. The domestic sections are drama queens competing for the most colourful flowers and wildlife.

But today, as I walked home with groceries I was struck by a truly awesome sight. Over fifty Monarch butterflies enjoying the sky between number 14, number 16 and just over the road at number 19 Ngatitoa Street.

I guessed at twenty, then more appeared, then more, then another flypast. I stopped counting at fifty. Sometime this morning, nature’s starting gun had fired and they must have competed to get out of their cocoons.

All I can say is, you can keep the Beijing Olympics, we had our own “Opening Ceremony” here in our quiet corner of the South Pacific.

No comments: