Sunday 4 January 2009

Gotta love Yorkshire

An uplifting story for the beginning of the year, as reported in our local newspaper today.

"A British shopkeeper who left an honesty box at his DIY store for customers to serve themselves on Boxing Day returned to find nearly A$400 and nothing stolen.

Tom Algie sold £187.66 worth of goods when he left his shop, called Practically Everything, open and unattended in Settle, North Yorkshire, on Boxing Day.

"I wanted to spend the holidays with my family but thought it would be quite nice to open the shop," Algie told Friday's edition of the Daily Mirror.

"I didn't think twice. Settle is a lovely, quiet, rural town and there's never any trouble here."

Algie left a note on the honesty box saying: "Yes, I have given everyone the day off, including me, so please choose the items you want and place the right money inside."

No comments: