Monday 9 July 2007

Creative Exporting

It would appear that Europe is getting all enviro-friendly and blacklisting food products with “food miles”. I’ve seen the negative advertising in British magazines. This includes meat and dairy products from our part of the world. Now I confess, I’m biased, but I reckon the ONLY country that can compete with our quality of milk is France. Our butter and our milk are fabulous. This is probably due to the quality of grazing here for our happy cows. The milk is why the coffee is the best I have ever tasted, and stretches to the consistency of cream. It is outstanding.

If Europe decides to boycott us, our economy is in serious trouble, as we are heavily dependent on agricultural exports.

Yesterday, on a brief walk on the beach, I came home with my usual collection of perfectly spherical pebbles. I collect them for I’m not sure what. But they are gorgeous and I’ve seen them by their millions on beaches around the islands. Today I have crushed my brain to think of a use for them. Could they be exported to make designer beaches? If so, we’ve got enough to decorate the parts of the world which are constructing 7 star havens. That way we can keep our happy cows and 7 star milk for ourselves and the world will have to come to us for the best lattes and lamb chops on the planet.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

There is a growing campaign over here for 'fair trade for British farmers', mirroring the 'Fair Trade' movement which has thought about farmers in the developing world.

In Britain, 3 dairy farmers a week are going out of production, whilst cadbury's buys milk from Poland to make chocolate, and sheep farmers are being undercut by wool from China and lamb from New Zealand. It costs one pound to shear a sheep (roughly) and the farmer gets 30p for the wool. See the website of 'Country Living' magazine for more info.

sparrow said...

Yes, its Country Living I've been reading. I don't disagree with the argument at all, but I suppose I feel it more here, because the economy of the entire country is agricultural. When that goes, we can all pack up and move to Australia. The country just won't survive.