Wednesday 7 November 2007

Kitty in the slammer

Our tortie is SERIOUSLY in the doghouse. She isn’t much of a hunter – too darned lazy for the most part, but tonight, in the middle of my cooking Moussaka for an overseas guest, she brought a squawking blackbird into the house. I managed to get it off her, but it flew into our bedroom window, fell out and down onto the grass 12 feet below.

I screamed for my husband, who was directed to find a shoebox. I had a lot of cotton wool brought from class yesterday (it was cushioning 30 stems of orchids), so the bird was placed carefully into the box. Its beak was bleeding and it was panting – I suspected a broken neck and expected it to die from shock. Temporarily, I didn’t know what to do I was so upset.

So, I called the vet, who told me to bring her in straight away. I just called and it seems the bird is staggering about. They will give her 24 hours to recover, and if she doesn’t, they will euthanise her.

Poor sweetheart.

And as for our Tortie, she’s on Navy rations!

No comments: