Thursday 28 February 2008

Grand Designs or Grand Marnier

We are about to have our lives turned inside out. We have building plans sitting with two builders for their quotations. When I wandered into my favourite chocolate shop today, it was enough to make me consider the ones with the vodka filling – at least 6kgs of them!

I don’t know how I’ve managed to reach late middle age and this to be my first building project. I just know that the last time we had a builder near the house, I was like a bird who had had her eggs stolen. He did a magnificent job of making a walk in closet in our bedroom. It took less than a week, and I was a wreck. In fact, I wasn’t even in the country for part of the work, as the builder managed to squeeze in this small project when I was visiting my parents.

The next project will take at least 6 weeks! It involves digging 2m holes, building retaining walls, moving tonnes of earth from one side of the property to the other, building a new side to the house and an extended driveway. Oh yes, and removing deck around most of the property to redirect storm water.

I feel for the cats. Our male cat hides under the bed when the gardener comes to mow the lawn. He is going to need sedatives to deal with all the banging.

Oh and did I mention, we may have someone coming to lodge with us at about the same time?
I have a cunning plan – large quantities of liqueur filled chocolates for me, valium for the cat and a strait jacket for the lodger.

No comments: