Wednesday 6 February 2008

The Incident

When I saw this email heading in my In Box, I didn't know what to expect. I will quote in full, with an Epilogue.

Whilst you were enjoying your pancake party, an incident here at No 13. So far as I can make out, enemy cat chased Cookie. The door was open but Cookie went for the cat flap and either she or enemy cat hit it so hard that the whole assembly came out, breaking the surrounding glass in the process. Praise G_d Cookie seems uninjured (must have a bit of a headache though). No signs of cuts or bleeding and I've stroked her all over without her flinching.
So now we have a broken window. I've sealed it up with newspaper and barricaded it with old cupboard doors and carpet. Actually the surrounding glass came out quite cleanly - probably weakened by the hole made for the insertion of the catflap. Tomorrow, the glaziers come to measure up and patch up.

Of course I phoned immediately. What he didn't mention in the email, was the cat flap was LOCKED when she managed to go through it! "Are you sure she's OK? Make sure she is still eating, she may have concussion". Of course, in humans this is indicated by excessive sleeping - not a good indicator for a cat, as they are prone to that anyway.
My beloved's response was that she must be ok. She had found a box of Roses chocolates on his desk, discovered the lid open and had proceeded to flick the entire contents of the box onto the floor. She discovered she could pat them around easily, and was busy "sorting" them.

Which proves a long held theory for me; when us girls are stressed, we head for the chocolates.

No comments: