Tuesday 12 February 2008

Thug culture

Every time I return to England I am shocked by the violence in the society. Nightly since I arrived, I have listened to news reports of underage drinking out of control, teenagers convicted of murder and wild lawlessness. The town I grew up in is not safe to walk in at night.

It seems we have reaped what we have sown - the highest teenage pregnancy / one parent family rate / divorce rate in Europe and few consistent male role models. Not to mention out of control political correctness and lack of guts to say when something is wrong. And don't get me started on the amount of racist attacks, neo Nazism, football supporter violence and rapes. It's really hideous.

My friends always used to ask me "Don't you get scared living in the Middle East? Isn't it dangerous there?" Er, no. I'll take it over England any day of the week.

I'm relieved to be returning to New Zealand. It isn't perfect, but I have never feared for my life there.

No comments: