Friday 25 July 2008

Muscle head

I love standing in checkout queues. It’s a great place to people watch, and make friends with small people sitting in shopping trolleys.

This afternoon, I was in front of a Pasifika gentleman carrying a large bag of frozen mussels.

Me “How do you cook mussels? We tend only to see them in vinegar in the UK”

I got a big smile (I think he was Fijian)

“Well, I put them in the microwave, then cook noodles and a few vegetables”

The guy behind him (Maori) shook his head.

“No, no, the best way is with a few cooked onions and cream.”

By this time the Chinese cashier chipped in,

“I’d take the noodle recipe!”

Fifteen minutes later I was unloading the shopping from the car and missed my footing walking up the drive (I tripped against one of the newly installed grates). I fell heavily against concrete and used my skull to cushion the fall.

I am now sporting a black and swollen eye. If only I’d had that bag of frozen mussels instead of tins of cat food in the shopping bag, I could have iced my face before my husband came to scrape me up off the floor.

No comments: