Tuesday 15 July 2008

The Sassenach breakfast

I had one of those “my goodness, that doesn’t happen any more” moments this morning. Oh dear, the world has changed, and no one asked my permission before they rearranged the furniture!

It was a small incident. Last night we had another dinner party, and there was some single cream left over from dessert. As a treat I made porridge (it’s that kind of weather here), and thought “mmm, a slosh of cream for the top”. As a child growing up in the north of England, we had milk delivered to our doorstep in a tall bottle. It always had at least two inches of cream at the top. My mum would ask me every morning, “would you like the cream from the top on your porridge?”
In the era of skimmed/lite/no fat/low fat milk in PLASTIC containers, the delight of eating high calorie oats is but a distant memory.

No comments: