Wednesday 17 September 2008

Along came a spider....


I’m still getting the hang of the wildlife in the garden.

This morning, whilst sieving soil, I saw the biggest spider I’ve seen since arriving here. Not very impressive by African standards, but the body was the size of my thumb nail.

Cookie was rummaging around in the garden at the same time. She came and sat by the wheelbarrow and caught the movement of Ms Spider. Immediately she shot into “hunt mode” until she saw the size of it, and quickly backed off.

For Ms Muffet not to take advantage of morning tea was indicative of the size. Normally I can call her and shout “snack Cookie” and she will dispatch spiders, daddy long legs, flies, you name it.

This coffee coloured arachnid lived to weave another web. It is the Nursery Spider.


No comments: