Monday 8 September 2008

Coffee, quilts and Russkies

This morning, en route to a late start at work, I went to the annual Wellington Quilt Exhibition. It is held in an art gallery, a building that used to be part of the Port Authority in the capital.

Every year I come away inspired to start quilting again. Between last year and this year, I have hand templated and hand stitched several hundred hexagons, but the progress is slow, and as I only use second hand material, I wait until I have enough of the right colours to start stitching again.

I am always impressed by the variety and ingenuity of the quilters, but sad that most of them are made on machine. For me the romance and charm of a quilt is that you imagine the ladies sitting around quilting together.

This year’s challenge to the city’s quilters was to make a quilt based on a playing card. Here are some of the results. The other quilts are general exhibits from the City Quilter’s Guild.

Oh, and lest you think we are a bit boring, being on the end of the planet, I attach a photo of my favourite cafĂ© in the city – the bust of Lenin is not the only Russian artefact it contains – there are what look to be pre-Soviet chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and one of the best bistro menus in town.

No comments: