Tuesday 2 September 2008

Wake up call

I have just watched a TV programme about how the western world is eating itself to death. Jamie Oliver has challenged a group of overweight/obese/morbidly obese people to get to grips with why their diet is killing them.

As part of the programme, they dissected a 25 stone male corpse to show how he died. All his internal organs were either clogged by fat or moved to the wrong part of the body because they were displaced by other fat covered organs.

It was horrific.

I am overweight. I don't exercise. I hate myself for it. I have to do something.

My biggest challenge is getting exercise. I don't eat junk food, but I do love to cook and bake and I have a sedentary lifestyle. I am a bookworm and I live in a cold climate, so the comfortable option is to stay indoors, curled on the sofa with a good book.

After tonight, I have set myself what I think is a realistic goal, 8kg loss by the end of the year.

Another 12 kg in 2009.

I intend to blog and report back. Wish me well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Liezel said...

I completely understand the hatred. After i looked in the mirror this morning and was somewhat disgusted...i made myself a promise to cut down on the food intake. But i now find myself sitting infront of this computer with caramello cheesecake gulping down the calories and clogged artiries...
Maybe we should keep each other accountable?