Wednesday 10 September 2008

Tin Man, Woman and Tin Kitties

As the sun was shining today, I decided to fossick around in our basement, to sort out our emergency food supplies stored there. In 2005 when we moved here, we stored about a week’s supply of tinned fruit, meat, fish, vegetables, water and cat food underneath the house. It wasn’t until 2006 we realised we’d forgot to put a tin opener there too!

Unlike my northern hemisphere brethren, this is not in the event of a nuclear attack (NZ is non-nuclear), but in case we have a major earthquake.

I have brought six of the items upstairs, as the outside of the tins are looking rather mangy. If they are “frot” inside, I’d rather find out now than when we really need the stuff.

Of course, the usefulness of the supplies very much depends on our ability to access that area of the house. It has just been super duper earthquake proofed by engineers, so in theory it should be the most robust part of the property. However, knowing my luck, on the day of the “Big One”, I won’t be able to find the key to the basement door.

I might start a second store in the walk in closet, just in case.

No comments: