Thursday 6 November 2008

The 44th President

I never expected I would see the election of an African American to the White House. I heard about Barak Obama’s victory late last night. My husband sent me a text at work, and I passed my phone around to my busy work colleagues. The response was fascinating. Some pumped the air with their fists, some grinned. There was general jubilation. I wish I could have shared it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it is marvellous that 50 years on from the Civil Rights movement, “The Dream” has become a reality. However, I shudder at the mess Obama is walking into and his lack of experience to deal with it. I worry that his slick election oratory has bewitched Americans into thinking he will solve the problems of the world. I have listened very carefully to what he hasn’t said; there has been a lot. His approach to the Middle East situation is what alarms me most.

I really hope my “doom and gloom” response is proved wrong, I do.

No comments: