Wednesday 12 November 2008

Remembering Times Past

Yesterday my boss called me down from the office to the store. “We are commemorating the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh year”. I was touched because the Kiwis usually commemorate Remembrance Day on ANZAC day in April.

As we stood in silence in the high tech store, I remembered that there is now only one living soldier from World War One, a man who is 110.

Later I was discussing this with my husband. I remember as a child being introduced to someone who had served in the Boer War. That person could have easily known someone during their lifetime who fought in the Crimean War. So the collective consciousness of my war “memory” in 2008 actually could stretch back to the 1840s and the time of Florence Nightingale.

Now I feel old!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

We attend Notre Dame in Paris - a beautiful setting for such tragedies. But it also the conflict situations and the young people of today who loose their lives just as our great-grandfathers, grandfathers, fathers, sons and brothers did. Now of course, also includes our female soldiers. Let us remember them all! Fiona