Saturday 29 November 2008

Mumbai

In October 1993 I moved for four months to India. I rented a flat with two other ladies in the heart of Mumbai. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The Indian people are some of the most charming, helpful, humble and gracious people I have ever met. I would return at the drop of a hat.

The girls and I would go on Saturdays to drink lassi in the wonderful ground floor café at the Taj Hotel. It was as much to enjoy the air conditioning (which our flat lacked) as it was to wallow in the opulence of an hour lazing over a cool yoghurt drink. We would then spend another hour in the bookshop and then stroll in our saris back to the train station and head home.

It has broken my heart to experience, at a distance, the last 48 hours with the people of Mumbai. I know how brave they will have been and helpful and self sacrificing. Bless them, each and every one. Heartfelt condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one during this terrible time.

No comments: