Wednesday 26 November 2008

The fragrance of generosity

A vignette from my train journey home this evening.

I managed to get a seat with plenty of room for me to knit. The chap to my right was Maori, wearing dark sunglasses, work clothes and with a sitting position which spoke loudly “don’t talk to me bro.” The chap to my left was an older Samoan, carrying a ukelele in a special carry bag. The young woman opposite was trying to control a very active toddler. He was enjoying throwing his bottle at the gent with the ukelele, who very obligingly humoured him by giving it back. Mr Ukelele told me he used the instrument to play worship songs in his church.
The guard/conductor was my favourite, Jim, who always has a cheeky word for everyone. The mum opposite had a family ticket (two adults and up to 4 kids), so when it came time for Mr Dark Glasses to pay, Jim pipes up to the Mum, “Alright if he travels on your family ticket?” She grinned “Yeah, no problem.” So Mr Dark Glasses got a free ride. When it was time for him to get off, he pushed a $10 note in the Mum’s hand (twice what his ticket would have cost) and grinned “Get something for the baby”, and shambled off. She beamed, Mr Ukelele beamed and I wanted to cry.
When I got off at my station, the first smell to hit me was the sweetness of the jasmine growing next to the stream. The scent summed up the sweetness of the last 15 minutes.
I really love Kiwis.

No comments: