Saturday 11 August 2007

Latitudinal degrees of separation

My Dad is a bit of a whizz at family history research, getting our tree back to the early 1600’s. This is quite an achievement, as most of our family were poor farmers and I suspect illiterate sheep rustlers!

Just recently he uncovered a letter from a correspondent who had written to him in 1995, asking for information about a distant branch of our family who he was also researching. This letter somehow got buried in all of Dad’s paperwork and only resurfaced last week. Twelve years on, he couldn’t remember if he had ever sent a reply to this man.


Now here comes the weird part. In 1995 I was about to move to E. Europe. I didn’t ever expect to be living in the NEXT TOWN to a relative in the S. Hemisphere!

So, tonight I called him, and he was thrilled be in touch again with my dad, via his daughter. The implications are I could be living a 20 minute drive away from a distant relative.

The world is shrinking terribly. I had better behave, or my mum and dad might find out what I’m up to!

No comments: