Wednesday 19 December 2007

Art Chick




Hubby and I chanced upon an episode of the “UK Apprentice” a few nights ago, and as a result I found out quite a lot about my other half’s taste in art. The teams had to hold an exhibition of the work of an “up and coming” artist in a top gallery in London. The artists chosen were fascinating and I certainly would like to own paintings by one of them.

My husband’s late father was an art restorer and dealer, so my other half picked up an early interest. I, on the other hand, had a limited exposure to great paintings until my teens, living so far away from galleries of note. I did, however, make up for this lack once I got to university, and when I started to travel and live in Europe.

So after the programme finished, we discussed what artists we would choose to own, should money be no object. Chagall was my first choice, followed by Ilya Repin (one of his portraits above). Then I’d want one of the Holbein’s paintings of Henry VIII, a Klimt, a Kandinsky, a Bruegel or two and a portrait by Bronzino.

My husband’s first choice a Rembrandt, followed by a Van Gogh. So I guess there goes our pocket money for the next Millenium.

No comments: