Saturday 15 December 2007

Unidentified Flying Object


I’m dissolving – see temperature gauge on the blog (25 degrees in the shade this afternoon)! The cats manage to walk a few steps in the house then slump under a chair or table, poor things.

I just had an amazing encounter with a moth. He was lying on the pavement outside our local supermarket and obviously a bit dazed, it being the heat of the day, but he allowed me to scoop him up on an envelope and hide him in the shade of a cherry tree. I measured the piece of envelope I used and he had minimum 13cm wingspan. The markings made him look like an owl. If anyone has any idea what it is, I’d be happy to know. I’ve tried googling him, but with poor results. He appears on the front of an RNZI book on “Butterflies and Moths of NZ”, so I will need to order the book from the library.

1 comment:

TT McGee said...

Wow - He looks SOOO cool!!