Thursday 13 December 2007

Blossoming into full bloom

I love the fact that it is still possible to experience “Firsts”.

Today I graduated from my floristry course. The first “First”, was being welcomed to the graduation in the many languages of the Pacific. The second “First” was a blessing spoken over the gathering in Maori before we accepted our certificates. The third “First” was being hugged and kissed by at least three people as I received my certificate. The fourth “First” was experiencing the genuine warmth and pride of the tutors as they talked of their students, and watching a family who sang and danced as their daughter went forward and then presented her with ley and a bouquet of flowers. No one minded that she was singled out, other students were cheered from the crowds of fellow students through the windows. Some course mates shouted for each other, whistled and clapped, with a spontaneity that could perhaps only happen here.

Twenty three years ago I graduated from university. It was stiff, formal, and like an assembly line – a “degree factory”, as my husband referred to it today. He was particularly touched by the community atmosphere of our little celebration. No high degrees, no pomp, just a lot of hard work acknowledged with fun, tears and of course food and flowers.

Welcome to the South Pacific.

No comments: