Thursday 6 December 2007

Culinary Grand Tour de Force

Living near the capital, we are spoiled by some of the best restaurants the country has to offer. But a unique taste experience happens 25kms north of the city in a village with just one row of shops.

If I mentioned Pierogi, possibly only those of Eastern European extraction would roll their eyes knowingly and groan with delight. I have no claim to any Slavic blood, but this dish is designed to send you to some kind of seventh heaven regardless of your lineage. Two hours ago I made a Polish friend green with envy when I sent her a text message from the restaurant. “Just ordered Pierogi. Jealous?” If it were possible to salivate via mobile, she did just that. Somewhere on the streets of Auckland strides a very jealous Pole, dreaming of her grandmother’s secret recipe and wondering if she can catch a late flight to the capital to get the last scoop from the pot.

Café Topor’s chef has elevated Pierogi to celestial status. There are two types on offer, and the vegetarian option, potato and goat’s cheese pancake, drowning in a mushroom sauce is truly nectar for the gods. Every chef of course has his special twist on the national classic, but at Café Topor, you are in the presence of greatness.

If you are planning to hit New Zealand for a holiday in paradise, let me know, and I’ll tell you where the High Priest of Pierogi exercises his magical arts. The rest of you will simply have to dream.

1 comment:

Hence said...

How interesting -- we had Pierogi for lunch just the other day, at a Russian cafe in Washington. I was swooing with delight, though actually not over that; earlier that day I'd found a European deli that had Polish sausage, REAL Polish sausage, that tasted just like the stuff I grew up with.

*wipe* Oops, I'm still drooling. And don't get me started on chocolate covered plums...