Tuesday 5 June 2007

Back to the chalkface

Today we get a new manager at work. Phew. It has been a rough few months without an additional person to look after the second shop. When I took the job, I was only supposed to supervise both shops twice a week, but for at least 8 weeks I have been in charge of both for 5 days. It has been so frustrating, as it is physically difficult to do everything in a 4 hour shift. Due to aviation security, there is no “short cut” between shops, so you walk round a good bit of the airport to get from A – B. I have some great staff, but we have also been at least 2 people short every day, so we’ve been run ragged. The Assistant Manager has done well to hold things together, but he has worked a minimum 10 hour day for the last few months too. So, a big welcome to the new Chief.
Two lots of jewellery arrived over the weekend, from Otaki (the lady dropped them off) and Christchurch. I continue to be amazed how “the store is always full”. I have written four newsletters about our fundraising adventures, and re reading them always brings a smile. It was such a crazy idea, but it worked. I suppose it proves the point that you should always embrace “off the wall” and see where it takes you.

No comments: