Monday 11 June 2007

Topsy Turvy Day

Today was an “oh my goodness” drop everything and run like a headless chicken kind of day. I had a missed call on my mobile late last night, which I saw only this morning. It was from a friend who is 8 months pregnant. When I finally got the husband on the line, it turns out that their son arrived this morning at 1am after a mere 6 hours labour! So, we dropped everything, ordered a bouquet from the local florist, picked up the new dad and took him to the hospital to visit (after his power nap at home and a carrot for breakfast!). We fed him lunch, went back to the hospital, and I’ve been cooking meals for the wife ever since. It was so exciting. The baby is exquisite with dark, dark hair and green eyes. The dad is totally beside himself with joy; his first son was born 5 days before his birthday. I got to feel like granny. Of course, I have enjoyed all my friends in the UK having babies, but they are all at university now (gosh that makes me feel ancient). It has been a while since I have been able to show up at a hospital bedside and go all gooey over a miniature life.

Prior to picking up the missed call, I had started to rearrange the spare bedroom and overhaul the linen cupboard. I have just cleared everything up.

Now, for the final episode of War and Peace, aching feet up on the pouffe with the cat.

No comments: