Friday 22 June 2007

Great and Small

Funny how easy it is to get attached to creatures. I have found myself becoming very protective recently over a crayfish I’ve called Clem. She sits in a large saltwater tank at the airport, tail curled under, waving her antennae around hour after hour. Now I know diddly squat about crayfish; never caught ‘em, never cooked ‘em, never ate ‘em, but I am beginning to get a soft spot for Clem.

There is a selection of fish in the tank from the Straits. We have Star fish, Urchins, Trumpeters, Snappers, Paua, Scarpies, a glamorous Gurnard, a frisky Dog fish, a Blue cod (called Rod) and shy old Clem.

I have to admit, invertebrates are pretty scary. I wouldn’t want to meet Clem in a dark alley, or have her turn up for a night on the town with her brothers. But someone has to love crayfish, and her quirky wink and sweet claw wiggle have melted my heart.

No comments: